Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Poetry lovers, I have a question concerning two verses of the poem "The White Goddess"?

Hi,





I'm working on an essay on the famous poem "The White Goddess" by Robert Graves, and I have an idea I want to talk about but I must understand something in a verse that I'm not sure I understand. So here it is:





Rules by God Appollo's golden mean -


In scorn of which we sailed to find her.





So I'm wondering to what is IN SCORN reffering to...is it reffering to Appolo's golden mean? If so then it means that the people that went to sail to find her were lacking the rules of appollo. What do you think it is reffering to?|||Poetry isn't always intended to make sense, and sometimes, poetry may even be meant not to make sense. Or sometimes poetry may even be designed with a meaning to be specific to the individual; relative. The line where "In scorn" is used, is likely meant to say something such as "Despite the reason which we sailed to find her [The White Goddess]. The poem is pretty confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment